Friday, January 26, 2007

My First Blog

I came to the States when I was 15. All of my life in India – I never cooked. There was my mom or a cook always present. I just remember making tea – maybe once or twice. After coming to the States, I was not too keen on learning to cook. There was so much else to do!! I did not mind cooking pasta as it was quick. My mom always cooked for us, as she still does for our whole family, and if she was not around, restaurants were always there. I cooked if I had to – but never enjoyed it as much as I do now. It wasn’t that I didn’t love food – oh I loved good food as much as I love it now. I avoided cooking until I met my husband, Pankaj. I never knew cooking can be fun, until I saw Pankaj cook and eat with so much enthusiasm!!

The one thing I admire about Pankaj is he never discourages me from trying any of the recipes that I get from my extended family, friends, internet. Even when the final product does not turn out good, he never loses his cool. He usually tells me what additional things I should put the next time. I remember making an item; six times in different ways, but, I myself was not satisfied with it. Now I am banned from making that particular item in my house ;) So, I admire Pankaj for his patience and giving me the time to explore my creative side in cooking. My kids do make faces when I whip up something "new".

Here are some of my favorite recipes that I have seen my family and friends make. I also have some recipes from several books that I end up reading at the Barnes and Noble or at Borders. These I have then “transformed” into my taste and Pankaj is my taster. His verdict is final – if it is good for him – it is good for everyone!! If he does not like it, I don’t even think twice before dumping everything into the garbage disposal.

Since I am a working mom – I have adopted some shortcuts to save time. Some of the short cuts that are in the recipes – I will highlight them. I try my best to provide at least one hot meal a day to my family – which for us usually becomes dinner. Dinner is also the only time during weekdays that our family is together.

Breakfast is many times hot – with theplas or parathas. Breakfasts on weekends is always hot – upma, poha, theplas, parathas, masala puris, etc.

Things that have helped me tremendously in my everyday cooking are: using the pressure cooker to cook daals as well as sabzis and using the Sumeet grinder. My time spent in the kitchen is minimized due to these modern day wonders!

A must in all Indian households is Ghee. Here is how we Indians in America make ghee. When non-salted butter is on sale, we buy it in a huge quantity and then make ghee out of it as and when needed. Ghee lasts about close to 6 months in the US. It is not necessary to refrigerate the ghee.

I take a big pot from which I can pour out easily, without making a mess. I put the butter sticks only till they reach to the middle of the pot. I do not fill it to the top. I then add a cinnamon stick or a bay leaf to it. I find it that it separates the yucky stuff very quickly.

If I am making a very small quantity that will be used only for pooja purposes, I add a couple of strands of saffron. This gives it a good color as well as a good aroma.

I put the pot on high heat and melt the butter. I do not wander away or do anything else during this time. When the butter starts to melt, I put it on low heat and stir it very rarely.

Continue to simmer on low heat, for 30 to 45 minutes, until the yucky stuff on the bottom of the vessel turn from white to golden brown and butter on top becomes transparent. This is the signal to turn off the heat. Let it stand for some time till it becomes a little cooler. Strain this liquid into a clean steel container, using a very fine strainer. Store this at room temperature.

Many people reuse the yucky stuff on the bottom to make rotis or chakris or some other things. The rotis and chakris turn out to be real nice and soft due to this. BUT IT IS SO HIGH IN CHOLESTEROL – I DON’T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT USING IT. I just throw it all away.

Our family has made a conscious effort to control what we eat. Some of the changes we have made are:
· Eating pizza once in 3 months. Sometimes, it is once in 6 months.
· Deep frying has been cut down tremendously. Even when we have guests, I end up making rotli, bhakri or paratha. Same goes with pakodas, etc. Deep frying is a rarity in my house.
· We have almost stopped using green peas and corn – due to their high content of sugar. Recently, I have heard corn has a lot of fiber. Might start using it again.
· We have been adding garlic to everything that we can add.
· We have stopped using basmati rice for everyday use – we only use that for “special” occasions. For everyday use, I have been using Sona Masoori rice. Since the past year, we have decided to eat rice just 2 times a week. Once again, due to heavy starch content.
· Potatoes are also rarely cooked – due to heavy starch content.
· We are trying to cut down on sweets – but Pankaj as well as my kids have a sweet tooth (me included). After dinner, they will ask for something sweet, knowing too well that we do not keep sweets in the house.
· We need to increase the salads and the eating of raw vegetables. I try to have them as snacks, but w/o the salad dressing (not too enticing). I keep the Lite Ranch dressing for the kids.
· We also need to cut down on eating outside. But, by Friday we are all so tired with everything that’s going on in our lives, be it work, housework, school, we end up going to movies and dinner on Fridays. We sleep in on Saturdays and then Sunday is back to normal again!!

Yogurt or Curds – another must in our house.
I make yogurt at home regularly. Store made yogurt is expensive compared to home made. But in the winter, I buy store made yogurt. Best yogurt is made from vitamin D milk. But if you are avoiding calories, 2% milk will do too. I refuse to make yogurt from 1% or skim milk. I would rather buy Nonfat Yogurt from a store.

You need one tablespoon of live active culture of yogurt (jaman). You can get this from family or friends or buy the non-gelatin yogurt that you get in Indian stores. Make sure you make the final yogurt in a clean glass container with a tight lid or a steel vessel with a tight lid. Many people make it in plastic containers and the final product has some kind of smell to it. I usually make yogurt at night before going to bed. It is usually done when I get up in the morning.

Yogurt is easy to make. Bring the milk to a boil and turn off the heat and let the milk cool down to a warm level. Then add one tablespoon of live active culture of yogurt to this milk, stir it once and cover the vessel with a lid. Keep the container in an oven or in a microwave undisturbed for about 8 to 12 hours.

Red chilli garlic chutney– something I really love and can never beat the “back home” taste. Somehow what we make here is not the “real” thing. I love the powder variety that I used to eat with Pav-vada – but cannot make it here.

Few handfuls of garlic cloves, lots of red chilli powder, jeera, few peanuts and salt mixed in the Sumeet mixer into coarse paste.

Red Radish Raita – one of my favorite raitas. It is difficult to muster enthusiasm for radishes. But they are a rich source of vitamin C and look so colorful. I tell my family to just hold your nose and eat the raita.
· A bunch of red radishes without the leaves – washed and cleaned.
· 2 cups of yogurt – whisked
· Tadka – mustard seeds, urad daal, karipatta.
· Oil to taste.
· Grate the radishes. Mix them in the yogurt. Add salt. Your raita now has a wonderful pink color. Do the tadka and mix it into the raita. Your crunchy raita is ready.

Do not store this raita. Eat it the same day. Next day, the stench gets stronger and stronger and my family will not touch it.

Well, this is it for today. I will continue over the weekend. If you find any mistakes, or if you have other ways to prepare the food, please feel free to share.

Have a wonderful weekend.