Thursday, April 3, 2008

Corn Flour Vada

We had a potluck to go to on Sunday. Three of the families were asked to bring appetizers. I wanted to take something different - after a lot of thought decided to take makai vada. Here's how I prepared it:

2 cups of Maize white corn flour
2 cups yogurt
salt
green chili + ginger paste
garlic
haldar
lal marchu
crushed methi seeds - very little
crushed variyali (fennel seeds) - very little
very little coconut (from the frozen pack)

I mixed all of this together. I had to add a little water to mix it all properly. Let it ferment overnight. Next day, I soaked a cup of udad dal for 3 hours and then crushed it, using my Sumeet. I mixed this into the stuff that had fermented. Mixed it all well together and made it like pakoda batter(not too thin). Tasted the spices, made sure it was on the spicy side and started frying them.

These vadas were gone within in 1/2 hour. I love the taste of these - but they end up drinking a lot of oil - so I make it very infrequently. But, do try them out - they taste heavenly - especially if you love the spices.