Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day Menu Disaster

Since I have moved from CA to MD - I am now closer to my side of the family. For the past two years, I have been having Mother's Day lunch and Christmas lunch at my house. I try and go all out - prepare a huge meal.

This year too, I had a grand menu planned with recipes that I had read on the other blogs that I visit. To tell you the truth, I was disappointed. Maybe it was my fault or maybe some key instructions were left out - but I am not making any dishes from other blogs - at least until the kadvahat is reduced.

My first dish that turned into a disaster was:
http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/04/19/sweet-potato-jamunsranga-alur-poli/

Usually my syrup is much thicker - according to this recipe - I did not make it thicker and it did not turn out well. The consolation was that the jamuns were so soft - very soft. They just melted in your mouth.

The second dish that turned into a disaster was: Majjige Huli - don't remember where I got it from. The curds and the sour cream separated when I put into the vessel - the look was not great, but everyone loved the taste.

The third dish that turned into a disaster was: acorn koftas in sauce - again don't remember where I got it from. Once again, as soon as I added the yogurt to the dish, it separated and started to look yucky. Taste was good but looks were yucky.

If you all know of a way to add the yogurt, without it being separated, pray do tell.

So, this mother's day my menu turned out to be:
rotli
bhaat
daal
kubi nu shaak (cabbage sabzi)
tuvar ringan nu shaak
khandvi
the majjige hule
the acorn koftas
sweet potato gulab jamuns
ras malai
papad
athana
salad
dahi

I am posting this on May 22 - it has taken me this long to cool down. Oh and BTW - my mother's day gift was a digital camera - after I figure out how to use it - will start posting pictures too.

Yeah!!